Eyelash extension is not something new, however, it has been a hot topic recently with the current trend of K-Pop makeup fashion as well as ladies becoming more skilful at makeup. Take a look at most of the Korean artists, you will realise that their eyes are innocent-looking, big and sparkling with a natural effect. The secret lies in their long and natural eyelash. You might be wondering whether you should try out lash extension. Wellnessly is here to tell you that lash extension is definitely something you should try at least once, it gives the effect of large and innocent-looking eyes without having to go through the trouble of applying fake eyelashes. Most importantly, eyelash extension looks very natural. You can even complete your makeup without applying mascara! Long and natural eyelash adds great impact to your eye makeup.
Take a look at SNSD Taeyeon’s eye makeup, her upper and lower eyelashes are long and natural. Eyelash extension can give you similar effect.
Photo source: allkpop.com
Wellnessly will let you know all about eyelash extension, as well as some tips and guidance on how to maintain it. The current trend in Singapore is on Korean style eyelash extension, which is more natural and light weight. Compared to Japanese style, Korean style eyelash extension is less dramatic and more sophisticated.
About eyelash extension
Photo source: beautyhows.com
Eyelash extension uses liquid adhesive to stick extensions to your own eyelashes. The main idea is to have each single lash applied to each one of your own, so make sure that the cosmetologist or lash technician is not applying cluster lashes. The extensions can be made from silk, mink, or synthetic hair. When extensions are applied properly, neither the extension nor the adhesive should touch your eyelid. Do also ask them which kind of adhesive they are using as it needs to be FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved and the better ones can adhere to lashes better. The adhesive should not contain harmful substance like formaldehyde (a known carcinogen). The process of applying a new eyelash extension lasts for around two hours, so be prepared to set aside some time for it. The lash extensions can be maintained for 3 to 4 weeks before they slowly start to fall out, by then you can then go back to the salon to refill the lash extensions.
If you experience discomfort during the procedure, such as causing your eyes to tear, you will have to inform the lash technician to change the glue. Although it is rarely the case, some people might be allergic to a specific kind of glue.
Types of extensions
- Acrylic eyelashes- It gives the most dramatic effect as it is hard and holds the darkest colour. It looks good on camera, but it might look fake in real life. If you are someone who likes to apply heavy makeup, maybe you should consider getting acrylic eyelashes. There is no need for mascara as the toughness of the acrylic really accentuates the black pigment. The down side is that it is heavy and therefore falls off easily.
- Synthetic silk eyelashes- The most popular choice for eyelash extension lovers. Unlike acrylic eyelash, they are lightweight, soft and less dramatic looking. You can still get the long and dark effect without applying mascara. As synthetic silk is lightweight, it can bond better to your natural eyelash. It looks more natural and also last longer than acrylic eyelash.
- Mink eyelashes- They are the most natural looking eyelash extensions you can get, but they are also the most expensive. As its name suggests, it is real fibre from the minks’ tails (minks are not harmed in the process). It is most lightweight, soft and natural. They last for up to 2 months because they stick to your original eyelashes the best. However, you need to apply mascara to mink eyelashes to maximise its effect, as these fibre are very thin and soft. You also need to curl them like your natural eyelashes.
Tips to maintain eyelash extension
Photo source: naturalbeautyhawaii.com
- Avoid using oil-based make up remover around your eyelash. Oil can weaken the bond between lash and adhesive.
- Don’t pull your lash extensions as it causes damage to your natural lash.
- Clean your face and remove makeup before you go for eyelash extension. The cleaner your natural lashes are, the better the adhesive adheres, so that the extensions last longer.
- When your eyelash extensions are tangled or poking your eyes, brush them gently with an eyelash brush.
- Do not get water onto your eyelash extension for 24 hours after application. Avoid steam rooms, hot yoga or working out. The adhesive might reactivate and mess up your lashes.
Negative impacts of wearing eyelash extensions
Using eyelash extension with glue that is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) may cause allergic reaction, either locally or body-wide. Also, people could lose their real eyelashes due to the improper pulling of the eyelash extension, and there could be eyelash dropout over time from chronic use.
Recommended salons for eyelash extension
If you are unsure of where you can find a better salon for a good eyelash extension, Wellnessly has carefully chosen the top 5 salons with good services and affordable prices for you. Some of which are even recommended by top bloggers.
Click on the locations to view more details on address, price, reviews, opening hours and more information on the salons.
Lavande @City Link Mall,Pioneer Mall and Punggol Plaza
Lolita The Beauty Studio @ Marina square,Rochester Mall
Dreamlash Korea @ City Link Mall, click to check available promotions.
Carragheen SkinCare Boutique Pte Ltd @ Liang Seah Street