Are you tired of your poofy untameable hair getting in your face all the time? Can’t stand how your brush or comb get stuck between the tangled messes of your frizzy hair? Envious of girls with silky straight and luscious hair?
In Singapore’s tropical and humid climate, maintaining long hair is quite a bit of hustle. Long straight hair has been the hair style of choice by innumerable ladies for as long as we can remember. Straight hair is not only fuss-free and easy to manage, straight hair also alludes a mysterious, enigmatic charm. Soft rebonding in Singapore, over normal rebonding, is increasingly preferred by beauty-savvy women. Soft rebonding in salons is readily available in growing number of hair salons.
Wait a minute. You mean there are more than one type of rebonding? What is soft rebonding?
Instead of having you unconstructively going uhh and ahhh while deciding uninformed on which kind of rebonding to go with, we’re here to help you find out more about the difference between soft and normal rebonding.
Your hair is literally your crowning glory, so make the right choice to make sure you end up looking like the princess or queen that you so deservingly are!
What’s the difference between soft rebonding and normal rebonding?
The main difference lies in how straight you hair will be and the end of the procedure. The result of normal rebonding will be completely straight and shiny hair. While soft rebonding will retain some of your natural curls and is not as shiny as compared to normally rebonded hair.
Which of these two you choose will depend on the kind of look you’re going for – the softer, more natural looks or a sharper, more serious look. While there are some guidelines out there, giving pointers like how women with long faces shouldn’t have long straight hair, or those with round faces shouldn’t have short curly hair, all these are nothing more than guidelines. There are no obligations and rules to what you can or cannot do with your hair. So let loose, consult your hair stylist and experiment with your hair to see what fits you best. At the end of it, you might be pleasantly surprised!
What’s the difference in rebonding procedures?
Both normal and soft rebonding involve the use of a relaxing agent to break down the bonds in our hair. Next, a heated flat iron will be used to straighten out you hair. Then, a neutraliser cream is applied and washed out. After each step is completed, your hair will finally finish with a new straightened and silky look.
The main difference lies in extensiveness of the use of a flat iron. For normal rebonding, the flat iron will be used more extensively, as compared to soft rebonding. Sometimes, for soft rebonding, your hairstyle may use a hair dryer as the heat source instead of a flat iron to retain some of your natural curls. Since soft rebonding applies lesser direct heat to your hair in the course of rebonding, the process is less harsh to your hair relative to a normal rebonding job.
How long will the whole rebonding process take?
Soft rebonding definitely requires a shorter time to complete. Normal rebonding takes around 4 to 5 hours while soft rebonding may take approximately 3 to 4 hours. Time taken varies according to the length of your hair. Make sure you make an appointment with the salon to ensure that slots are available to prevent any disappointment! Also, keep the rest of the day free to prevent any crop ups!
How long will my rebonded hair last?
Gauging from treatment procedures, normally rebonded hair will stay straight for longer than soft rebonded. If you want to achieve hair that will stay straight for a long time to come, normal rebonding is recommended over soft rebonding. However, the length of time your rebonded hair will remains straight also depends on how well your hair is taken care off after the rebonding procedure. Extra care should be given to your hair after undergoing the rebonding process (and any other processes e.g. perm and color etc.) if you want to extend the “lifespan” of your rebonded look. With our humid weather, soft rebonded hair may start to curl up after a shorter length of time than expected. Taking extra care of your hair is actually easier than you think, it can be as simple as using a customized shampoo over a regular one.
How can I make sure my rebonded look lasts?
To make the most out of soft rebonding in Singapore, we have a few tips on how you can maximise the amount of time your hair stays nice and straight.
- Don’t wet or wash your hair for 72 hours after rebonding – water will wash off and interfere with the products used to straighten your hair. So, give it some time to properly settle in before resuming with your daily hair care routine.
- Avoid shampooing your hair everyday – excessive shampooing actually strips moisture from your hair causing it to be dry. Naturally, with the rebonding process (due to the extra external heat applied to your hair), your hair quality will already be slightly altered. Excess shampooing will do more harm than good!
- Use cold water to wash your hair - Warm water will also strip some moisture and damage your hair resulting in your hair losing its straightness more easily.
- Protect your hair by using the right kind of hair products - There is an endless range of hair care products from conditioners to shampoos to serums and hair masks. The price of the produce does not translate to how well the product will work on you. Everyone is unique and so is your hair! Be sure to find out about your hair (e.g. sensitive scalp, thick single strands, dry etc.) and use the most appropriate product.
- Sleep with your hair nicely flattened under your head – kinks will ruin silky straight outlook, and this way prevents tangle too!
- Tie your hair only when necessary – Especially the week after you have rebonded your hair. Hair band marks, especially when tied tightly, will alter hair bonds in your hair. Avoid any unnecessary alterations!
- Use a wide toothed comb - This is less harsh on your scalp as tangled hair can be straighten out more easily. Instead of forcefully combing your hair downwards, hold on the tangled portion of your hair and comb the tangled section repeatedly with light strokes.
- Don’t get caught in the rain! - Wash out your hair if you do because the dirt and pollutants in rainwater (acidic rain is pretty common in Singapore) is very damaging to our delicate hair.
Where can I go to get my hair rebonded?
Most hair salons in Singapore offer normal hair rebonding services and more are picking up on the soft rebonding trend. We’ve found some great hair salons for soft rebonding in Singapore. Check them out!
Softly rebonded hair is super easy to maintain while still allowing you look effortlessly chic. Go on, book an appointment with Wellnessly today and try out soft rebonding today!
Liked this article? Subscribe to Wellnessly to receive weekly updates on similar articles! Tag us on Instagram on @wellnessly and #wellnessly to share with us your new rebonded look!